Wild Oats defends Syd-Hobart

by admin on June 30th, 2019

filed under 苏州半永久

The 30-metre maxi reached the finish line at 9.

苏州半永久

52pm local time to clock a time of two days, eight hours, 52 minutes, 33 seconds.

Wild Oats XI became just the sixth boat to record back-to-back victories since the race’s inception in 1945 and the first since

Astor achieved the feat in 1963-64.

But crew members said there had been some anxious moments during the race and revealed the boat had suffered a torn headsail.

They said they had proven a point by winning in tough conditions after the boat’s durability had been questioned last year.

“We were really happy to have a tough race to show everyone this boat is capable of going upwind just as well as downwind, so it was good stuff,” said skipper Mark Richards.

“It was tough, a very tough race, you don’t get much tougher than that.

“You could have got bigger seas but it was tough.”

Wild Oats XI owner Bob Oatley wouldn’t definitely commit to returning to defend the title next year, saying only that it would campaign in Europe, while his 66-footer Wild Oats X competed in Australia.

Tight finish for minor places

Ichi Ban and Skandia this morning swooped on the remaining podium places in the battle for line honours.

Both finished well after Wild Oats XI, but only 16 minutes separated Matt Allen’s 70-footer Ichi Ban from Grant Wharington’s maxi Skandia, as both crossed the line shortly before 2am.

Skandia, which had been slowed by the loss of its front rudder on Wednesday afternoon, held onto second spot until early evening before it was finally overtaken.

Ichi Ban finished in two days 12 hours 42 minutes 23 seconds, while Skandia recorded a time of two days 12 hours 58 minutes 56 seconds.

The next boat scheduled to finish was new 55-footer and pre-race handicap favourite Yendys, which was on target to cross the line around midday today.

Heading the IRC Handicap race overnight was the 33 year-old 47-footer and 1974 and 1978 overall winner Love & War.

Also up there were two Victorian yachts, the 38-foot Challenge, skippered by 79-year-old Lou Abrahams in his record-equalling 44th Sydney-to-Hobart race, and the 28-year-old 44-footer Bacardi.

Lee spoils England start

by admin on June 30th, 2019

filed under 苏州半永久

Lee ended a promising partnership of 45 between England openers Andrew Strauss and Alastair Cook when he had Strauss caught behind for 29 just before lunch.

苏州半永久

The tourists reached 1-58 by lunch after a first session truncated by rain, with Cook unbeaten on 20 and new batsman Ian Bell seven not out, after captain Andrew Flintoff won the toss and batted on a good, even wicket.

Strauss and Cook defied early predictions this match would be a cakewalk for Australia, which is aiming to give its retiring stars

Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Justin Langer a perfect send-off with a 5-0 series whitewash.

The two left-handers posted their best partnership of the series, but Strauss’ early aggression cost him his wicket, when he was out trying to cut a delivery too close to his body.

Lee’s (1-22) strike made up for an early mistake by Australia, as Langer gave Strauss a life with the score on 34 when he spilled a chance at third slip off McGrath’s bowling. Langer got both hands to a low chance to his left, but could not complete the catch as he hit the ground.

Cook recovered well after a painful start, when he was hit flush on the protector with Lee’s first delivery of the match. As Cook grimaced on his haunches, Lee ran down to give the batsman a friendly reminder of what to expect in the new year.

Morning rain threatened to dampen the start of Australia’s farewell bash, but only 70 minutes were lost by the time Warne, McGrath and Langer led the Australian team onto the field.

Fine weather is forecast for most of the day, although showers are expected in the evening.

The umpires can extend play until 7pm (AEDT) to make up for the loss in play.

Australia retained the same side that won in Perth and Melbourne, but England lost fast bowler Matthew Hoggard to a side strain. Hoggard, England’s leading wicket-taker this series with 13, was replaced by James Anderson.

Security tight for final test

by admin on June 30th, 2019

filed under 苏州半永久

Cricket NSW says extra security measures will be put in place for the Sydney Test, in keeping with tight security displayed at other Australian grounds throughout the Ashes.

苏州半永久

The measures will include a ban on the Mexican wave, extra security staff, close CCTV monitoring and strict ejection policies for misbehaving spectators.

Cricket NSW Chief Executive David Gilbert said the guidelines were developed to safeguard the “overwhelming majority of fans who wanted to enjoy international cricket played at its best”.

“Cricket fans will be coming to the SCG to see some of the finest cricketers in the world in action – some of whom will be playing at the ground for the last time,” Gilbert said.

“It is unfair for a minority group of fans to spoil the Test match experience of the majority.

“We want fans, particularly families, coming to international cricket and the research clearly shows they will continue to come if their experience is safe and comfortable.”

Gilbert said the Mexican wave would be prohibited because of the danger created by the volume of rubbish thrown in the air.

“The Mexican wave may be appealing to a small minority but we have a greater responsibility to service the majority of fans who are genuine cricket fans and who do not want their match day experience tarnished by this behaviour,” he said.

Gilbert also encouraged spectators to report incidents themselves to assist with the security operation.

“Fans have an important role to play in reporting incidents so they can be dealt with swiftly and competently,” he said.

Cricket NSW says the tight security will be complemented by the SCG’s low alcohol policy which it says resulted in a 66.5 percent reduction in fan-related infringements at last season’s Test against South Africa.

Hawke was a terror target

by admin on June 30th, 2019

filed under 苏州半永久

He wasn’t alone.

苏州半永久

The Australian Security intelligence Organisation (ASIO) also believed prominent pro-Jewish figures, Isi Liebler and Sam Lipski, were on the hitlist.

Cabinet documents for 1976 – released by the National Archives of Australia under the 30-year rule – reveal security authorities and the government were deeply concerned about the rising tide of Palestinian terrorism.

Most worryingly, ASIO believed pro-Palestinian terrorists had a clear operational interest in Australia and that had been demonstrated by visits from militants.

In September 1973, Abdulhamid Abdulla Azzam, a member of the military branch of Al Fatah – the principal Palestinian terror group – visited Melbourne. He was arrested on his way out, charged with immigration offences and subsequently deported.

Information from the Israeli Security Service claimed he was a member of the extremist Black September group who had launched a terror attacks in Thailand and was interested in operations against Israeli targets in Australia.

ASIO said in 1974 Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) official Abou Rish visited Sydney and Melbourne in the guise of a journalist.

ASIO believed he planned to return in July or August 1975 to plan the assassination of the Israeli ambassador as part of a worldwide PFLP offensive.

To that end, a local PFLP member improperly obtained two Australian passports which were to be used to facilitate the visit and probably the operation. A local PFLP supporter had discussed with Rish how he could enter Australia illegally.

“It also emerged that in addition to the Israeli ambassador, three prominent Australians – R.J. Hawke, president of the ALP and ACTU, and Zionist spokesman Isi Liebler and Sam Lipski – were regarded by the PFLP as suitable targets for future attack,” ASIO said.

Rish never made the trip. ASIO suggested he was needed elsewhere, possibly in France where the PFLP organisation had been smashed in the security crackdown following attacks by the terrorist Ilich Ramirez Sanchez, known as Carlos the Jackal.

Or he may have been needed in Lebanon, then embarking on its long civil war.

ASIO said the PFLP remained interested in Australia and in November 1975 another cadre, Nubar Hovsepian, sought to visit but was refused a visa.

ASIO concluded there was evidence that Palestinian terror groups had a continuing interest in operations in Australia and that there were a small number of individuals in the local Palestinian and Arab communities who might be prepared to provide auxiliary support for a terror attack.

“In comparison to Western Europe and North America, Australia could appear a soft target,” it said.

“The government has made a number of decisions which could be interpreted as unfavourable to the Palestinian cause. A pro-Palestinian terrorist attack could take place in Australia.”

ASIO noted Al Fatah had a major problem in Lebanon where it faced losing its independent base, raising the prospect that extreme elements might resort to terror attacks to draw attention to their plight.

“As stringent security measures limit the ability of external terrorist to plan and conduct operations in Western Europe and North America, their attention may turn to Australia,” it warned.

As it turned out that never occurred. Until the 2002 Bali bombing, Australia’s worst terror attack was the bombing outside the Sydney Hilton hotel on February 13, 1978 which killed three.

The civil war in Lebanon had given Australian officials other reasons for concern.

That conflict kicked off in April 1975, descending into a vicious spiral of sectarian and political murder. By 1976, there was some prospects of peace with a Syrian imposed ceasefire.

Australia had closed its Beirut embassy in March 1976 but neighbouring missions in Syria and Cyprus had been swamped with the relatives of Australia’s Lebanese citizens seeking to escape the fighting.

As a humanitarian gesture, Australia had eased standard immigration criteria including economic, character and health requirements.

Immigration Minister Michael Mackellar was concerned that it just wasn’t possible to properly check the identity and background of all who wanted to come to Australia.

He warned there was the prospect that conflicts, divisions and tensions within Lebanese society could find their way to Australia.

“Effective precautions must be maintained against the possibility that terrorists gain entry to Australia while our criteria for migrant entry are relaxed,” he said.

There’s no evidence that ever occurred.

However other comments by Mackellar do have echoes in the current debate about the integration of Muslims into Australian, sparked by comments by Australia’s senior Islamic cleric Sheik Taj Aldin Alhilali who blamed women who wore makeup and no Islamic headscarf for inciting sexual attacks.

Some 16,000 Lebanese arrived in Australia in the period 1976-81.

Mackellar raised concerns about the longer term settlement of such a large group of which 90 per cent were Muslim, many were illiterate and most were unskilled or semi-skilled.

Don’t panic! says Stewart

by admin on June 30th, 2019

filed under 苏州半永久

Stewart, the most-capped player in England history, said the onus must be put upon the bedraggled England squad to repair their reputations.

苏州半永久

In that way England can follow the example set by Australia, which resisted calls for wholesale changes to be made after the 2005 Ashes series defeat and saw much the same squad triumph with a 5-0 whitewash in the re-match.

“Australia, 15 months ago, their country was criticising them,” Stewart told the BBC.

“Dennis Lillee, the great Australian fast bowler, said Ricky Ponting had made poor decisions as captain and a lot of the players were too old so let’s make changes.

“Australian cricket authorities stuck with those players and they corrected it and have underlined why they’re the best side in the world.

“I just hope England don’t panic,” he added.

Although urging loyalty at the selection table, Stewart said the players must not be allowed to blame lack of preparation or any extraneous factors for the series loss but accept responsibility for the abject showing.

Players didn’t perform

“You can talk about preparation, you can talk about selection issues, but when you cross the white line to go out and do battle, the players have to perform and they didn’t,” Stewart said.

“Among the batsmen it was only Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell and Paul Collingwood who produced any kind of form.

“On the bowling front, no-one bowled consistently well enough, didn’t pin the Aussies back.

“Australians, once they’re on top of you in any sport, they’ll dominate you and bully you and that’s what they did for five Test matches.”

Before England next don the creams for Test series against the West Indies and India in the northern summer, they will wear the blue pyjamas in the triangular one-dayers in Australia and then the World Cup in the Caribbean.

“It’s going to be tough because their one-day form over the past 10 years has been pretty average to put it politely,” Stewart said.